Barbados

 Denasia Watts

Professor Harris

Blog Post #4

February 16, 2021

                                          Gender Issues and Family Relationships of Barbados

While doing my research on Barbados for an earlier assignment, I noticed that women in Barbados were restricted from being independent and were forced to marry. This is a good topic in my opinion because it really shows the differences and various similarities of countries all over the world. Though many people may deem women incapable, I believe women can do and be much more than what some people may think. I'm not very sure if these assumptions and old ways of thinking currently still effect the island of Barbados but I do know that it shouldn't. Though this is how things used to be, I think the women and families of Barbados should be judged on how they are now, as I'm sure all of those old ways of thought are now being proved very wrong.
As stated in the VCL (Virtual Caribbean Library), prior to the year 1960, women had to have children and marry men in order to provide themselves with the financial support and stability that they needed in order to survive. As I mentioned before, to me it's a great thing that nowadays, women have more opportunities for themselves where they can do things out of sheer enjoyment rather than having to do it because they have no other option.  

Sources: 

“Barbados.” The Virtual Caribbean Library, ggccaribbean.wpengine.com/listing/barbados/.

“Barbados.” Countries and Their Cultures, www.everyculture.com/A-Bo/Barbados.html.

“Climate.” Encyclopædia Britannica, Encyclopædia Britannica, Inc., www.britannica.com/place/Barbados/Climate#ref54591.



Comments

Popular Posts